Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Part 2 - Angry Birds and King Pigs Cake Toppers....

Tomorrow my son celebrates his birthday with his classmates. This year was tough because he has one best friend in his class who has every food allergy. His mom told me he could have rice krispie treats with Earth Balance buttery spread as it has no dairy products. I figured this would be the best thing and it's only 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine anyway so how much could it affect the taste of a small rice krispie treat?I saw on Week of Menus blog that you could use raw coconut oil, but the mom isn't 100% sure if her son is allergic to even coconut, I thought maybe could use freeze-dried strawberries and blueberries for a little change of flavor which was featured on this same blog, but alas, those are processed in a factory that has wheat, dairy and nuts.So in the end, we did the plain rice krispie treats but in a cake pop form and for the kids who don't have food allergies, I drizzled candy melts in green and blue and decorated them with little rainbow sprinkles. It'll be interesting to see the expression on the kids' faces tomorrow!